One of the best things about having curly hair is the versatility it offers when it comes to styling. And while it’s not as easy as you think as there are many aspects you need to understand, once you master the art of styling, your options will become endless.
But how do you master the art of styling curly hair? Well, you have to start with learning how to use a hair dryer diffuser properly.
What Is A Hair Dryer Diffuser?
A hair dryer diffuser is simply a hair dryer attachment. You can quickly identify it as it looks similar to a showerhead. And interestingly, it serves the same function.
The purpose of a hair dryer diffuser is to split the current of the air that is released from the hair dryer. Imagine if you remove the shower head off the shower. You would experience a high-pressure water stream directly hitting your body. The same goes with a hair dryer diffuser, only that it does not split the flow of water but the air.
So, how do you properly use a hair dryer diffuser?
1. Apply Your Favorite Hair Conditioner.
Before styling your hair with a hair dryer diffuser, you have to rinse and wash your locks properly. Grab your favourite shampoo and remove it. After that, apply the hair conditioner. After washing your hair, the frizz should be reduced. Your hair will also stay moisturised and delicate.
If you wish to achieve sassy and more defined curls after using a hair dryer diffuser, it is best that you apply an all-natural conditioner that is formulated for curly hair. In general, this type of conditioner contains essential oils and hydrating extracts, which make it safe to use for daily use.
2. Make Sure That All The Excess Water Is Removed.
After applying a hair conditioner to your locks and washing them, it’s time that you dry them.
When drying up your newly-washing locks, do not use a towel to rub it. Instead, use a soft cotton cloth first and attempt to squeeze out any excess water. Rubbing your hair with a rough fabric can damage your hair shaft and cause your strands to become dull and boring when they dry.
By doing this, you will not just speed up the drying process. You will also achieve gorgeous and bouncy waves.
3. Use Appropriate Hair Styling Products.
Once your hair is dehydrated, you may now use hair styling products. Here are the available hair styling products you can use:
- Natural Leave-in Conditioner – This product is widely used to make the strands look healthy. It can be left in your hair for more extended periods without having to worry about side-effects. To be sure, you can use a leave-in conditioner that contains Shea butter, Argan oil, and other essential oils.
- Volumizing Mousse – A volumising mousse makes an excellent product for styling wavy yet thick hair. This is because it can spread quickly.
- Defining Cream – To further define your curls and waves, it is best that you use a defining cream. Take a dab of it and apply it before and after curling your hair.
- Protectant Mist – This product helps protect your curls from damage that may be caused by heat styling tools. Spray it evenly on your strands before using the hair dryer diffuser.
- Detangling Spray – If you feel that the weather is humid, you might want to use a detangling spray.
- Hairspray – Do you want to keep your hairstyle intact the entire day? Then spritz a bit of hairspray onto your styled hair.
- Dry Shampoo – Want to add more volume to your wavy hair? Use dry shampoo. Don’t worry because it is lightweight and it absorbs all the excess natural oils on your hair.
4. Prepare Your Hair Dryer Diffuser.
These days, the hair dryers sold in speciality stores already come with a piece of hair dryer diffuser attachment. But if it does not have any, you can always purchase one separately. However, you might want to ensure that you are getting one that is compatible with your hair dryer. Otherwise, it might only fall off.
To make it convenient for you to get a hair dryer diffuser, check online stores. You will be surprised to see the wide variety of options available for you.
If your hair dryer already has a diffuser, attach it properly to the blow dryer’s end. After that, set your dryer’s setting to medium or low. No matter how wavy or curly your hair is, stay within the relaxed or medium environment. Excessive heat may only result in frizz and dryness.
5. Position Your Waves Properly To Achieve Natural Curls.
As soon as you turn on your hair dryer, the diffuser starts to split the air that is coming out of it. When it does, curl up your strands and push them with your fingers to shape them. It depends on you whether or not you want to use brushes or combs.
Next, hold the diffuser in place for a few seconds. If possible, avoid moving your sectioned hair. Once it is dry, proceed to the next section of your hair. For better waves, move the diffuser in a circular motion.
6. Take Advantage Of The Free Diffuser Nubs.
Frequently, hair care experts use the diffuser directly at the crown. This way, they can create an illusion of a weightless volume.
But did you know that some of them also use the free diffuser nubs to add height to the waves and massage the scalp? So, make sure you don’t set it aside. The core will come in handy.
7. Apple A Curl-Preserving Serum.
Continue using the hair dryer diffuser until your waves are dry. But it is not necessary to dry them completely. Once your hair is 80% dry, you may opt to stop diffusing.
Finally, use a hair mousse or a curl-preserving serum to ensure that your hairstyle will stay longer. When you apply it, do it in a slow scrunching motion. If you are not sure about how to use the serum, check the labels for instructions. Most likely, it will advise you to apply the plasma at the roots to keep your waves from looking too greasy.
Do you need to know how to use a hair dryer diffuser properly? Yes. By backing yourself with proper knowledge on how to use it, your waves will reap the perks.